The Guilford Foundation recently presented scholarship awards totaling $11,600 to twelve Guilford High School graduates to help offset the costs of their education. The records of these remarkable students reflect their hard work and commitment to personal development and inspire hope in the future citizenry of our great town.
The twelve students (as well as their colleges) are as follows:
- Elizabeth C. Adams Fund: Krisandra Cusanelli (Wheaton College) & Jessie Pelosi (University at Buffalo)
- Carl A. Balestracci, Jr. Humanitarian Fund: Joseph Iassogna (University of Virginia) & Emma Munson (North Carolina State University
- Al and Gene Bishop Fund for Vocational & Industrial Arts: Samantha Zuniga (Johnson & Wales Providence
- Stuart D. Burt Fund: Edward Gresham (Loyola Marymount University
- Stephen A. Looney Fund: Madeline Weil & Noah Rattet (Eastern Connecticut State University)
- Jake Penman Memorial Fund: Kay Horan (University of South Carolina)
- Ralph Schipani Scholarship Fund: Mackenzie Iasparra (Quinnipiac University) & John Suchy (Bridgewater State University)
- Elizabeth M. “Lizzie” Schwanfelder Scholarship Fund: Olivia Watrous (Northeastern University)
The Guilford Foundation salutes these community members and their families for this special recognition. TGF also gratefully acknowledges the Guilford High School Guidance Office for their assistance in identifying these students. For more information about the scholarships or the Guilford Foundation, go to www.guilfordfoundation.org.
In April, YAG made grant awards to the following 6 local organizations:
- $1,750 to Guilford Social Services for their back to school program
- $1,500 to Women & Family Life Center for “Safe Search”
- $1,000 to the Guilford Free Library for software for 3D printing
- $1,000 to Shoreline Arts Alliance for Shakespearean Summer Camp for youth
- $500 to Guilford High School’s Apple Pi Robotics for a new robot
- $250 to Guilford Art Center for GHS field trips
The GF Board of Directors was impressed by the group’s energetic fundraising and thoughtful deliberation of the grant applications. YAG continues to exceed expectations around the promotion and development of youth philanthropy. Kudos to Allen Jacobs and Patricia DeChiara for their volunteer guidance of these students.
The Guilford Foundation is pleased to announce the 2014 scholarship awards, which were presented at the GHS Awards Night on June 2, 2014:
- $1,500 Stuart D. Burt Fund Scholarship to Madeline Blank
- $1,200 Al & Gene Bishop Fund for Vocational & Industrial Arts Scholarship to Michael Montesano
- $1,100 Elizabeth “Lizzie” Schwanfelder Fund Scholarship to Megan Burke
- $500 Carl A. Balestracci, Jr Humanitarian Fund Scholarship to Kathryn Van Steenbergen
- $500 Carl A. Balestracci, Jr Humanitarian Fund Scholarship to Michael Greco
- $500 Elisabeth Adams Fund Scholarship to Claire Suites
- $500 Elisabeth Adams Fund Scholarship to Jake Morgan
- $500 Stephen A. Looney Fund Scholarship to Wyatt Vilaseca
- $500 Stephen A. Looney Fund Scholarship to Claire Weil
Congratulations to these impressive students! Many thanks to the GHS Guidance Office for their work in identifying students worthy of these awards.
The Guilford Foundation hosted its Annual Dinner & Awards Ceremony on Thursday, May 30th, under clear, warm skies at the Guilford Yacht Club. At the dinner, we awarded scholarships to nine Guilford High School graduating seniors to help offset the costs of their college education. The records of these remarkable students reflect their hard work and commitment to personal development and inspire hope in the future citizenry or our great town.
GHS Scholarship Recipients
The nine students (as well as their colleges) are listed below next to their award: … Read more
The Guilford Fund for Education and the Guilford Foundation awarded a grant of $2,450 in March 2013 to Guilford Art Center and Guilford Before and After School Care for a joint project to provide art instruction to After School Care students onsite at A.W. Cox, Calvin Leete, and Guilford Lakes schools in Guilford.
Members of YAG at a Guilford High School fund raising event.
The Guilford High School Interact Club Youth Advisory Group (YAG), an initiative of the Guilford Foundation to promote youth philanthropy, recently awarded four grants totaling $10,000 to 5 local organizations:
… Read more
The Guilford Foundation Approves $9,850 to 7 Local Organizations
At its March Board meeting, the Guilford Foundation Board of Directors approved $9,850 of funding to 7 local organizations, bringing the total amount granted so far this year to $18,075.
“The Board was once again pleased to support a broad scope of needs in the community, from support for new mothers to walking tours to supporting substance abuse services,” stated Board President John Crawford.
The March 2013 awards are as follows:
… Read more
The Guilford Foundation was pleased to present a grant award of $2,500 to Virginia Gresham to support her Girls Scouts’ Gold Award project, which is the highest-ranking award distributed by the scouting organization. A Gold Award, equivalent to the Boy Scout Eagle Award, must meet a need in the community while inspiriting and educating others and must last in perpetuity.
Pictured: The Guilford Foundation Board members Mary Jo Kestner, Stephen Page, Edward Seibert, Executive Director Liza Janssen Petra, and awardee Virginia Gresham, shot on the Green in front of one of the lampposts.
… Read more
The Guilford Foundation was pleased to award scholarship awards to 9 remarkable seniors from Guilford High School at our Annual Dinner and Awards Presentation on May 31st. The honorees are pictured below.
Elizabeth Adams Fund Scholarship: Matthew Doyle (in absentia) & Amanda Simon.
Joan Shrewsbury presents the Adams Award to Amanda Simon.
Carl A. Balestracci, Jr. Humanitarian Fund Scholarship: Alejandro Betancourt & Emily Ott.
Carl Balestracci presents the award to Emily Ott and Alejandro Betancourt.
Al & Gene Bishop Fund for Vocational and Industrial Arts: Michael Shay.
Al & Gene Bishop present the Bishop award to Michael Shay.
Stuart D. Burt Scholarship: Amanda Shank.
Stephen Page presents the award to Amanda Shank.
Stephen Looney Scholarship: Marissa Mormile & Marco Parisi (in absentia). Pictured with Joan Shrewsbury and Marissa Mormile are Stephen Looney’s niece and nephew, who helped to present the award.
Joan Shrewsbury, Marissa Mormile, Andrew Elsaid, and Olivia Elsaid (l-r).
Elizabeth M. “Lizzie” Schwanfelder Fund: Juan Carlos Lluberes
Elisa Milano and Jennifer Alexander present the award to Juan Carlos Lluberes.